We just got Veganomicon as a wedding shower gift, and we’ve already made the edamame corn salad for two different parties. It’s really easy and delicious – though it does require a bit of a financial splurge on the frozen edamame.
1 tb toasted sesame oil
1 tb rice vinegar (other mild vinegars will work in a pinch) – I added quite a bit more to taste
2 tsp soy sauce
2 cups frozen, shelled edamame
1 cup corn kernals (best fresh from 2 ears of corn, but partially-thawed frozen corn works too)
2 tb toasted sesame seeds (put into a dry skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are fragrant and lightly browned – if you buy unhulled seeds, be sure to add a drop or so of oil or they will pop all over)
salt to taste
1. Bring a big pot of water to boil.
2. Whisk all the dressing ingredients in a bowl big enough for the whole salad.
3. Boil the edamame for 3 minutes (whenever I cook edamame, the water rarely gets back up to boiling after all those frozen beans are tossed in there – just add another minute if it isn’t boiling).
4. Add the corn to the pot and boil for 2 more minutes.
5. Drain the corn and edamame and run under cold water until cool to the touch.
6. Add the corn and edamame to the bowl with the dressing, add sesame seeds, and toss.
7. Salt and season to taste.
8. Cover and chill at least 15 minutes.